Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Hypnobirthing




Last Monday my fiance and I attended a Hypnobirthing class at the University of Utah. This was the first of 5 classes explaining and teaching the Mognan Method of the style.
"We believe that every woman has within her the power to call upon her natural instincts to bring about the best possible birthing for her baby and herself"

-Marie F. Mongan

It boasts that less than half of the normal amounts of c-sections are required when using this method, and that 70% of vaginal births are unmedicated when using it. Those are great statistics as far as I'm concerned. Birthing vaginally is supposedly better for the baby, and creates a better connection. Mothers tend to be more in tune with the birth.
From what I'm used to hearing about births, they are painful and dreadful experiences. If Rachel can do this without extreme agony, and the methods and tools work, then I will be a very happy man, and I'm sure she will be a very happy woman as well. This will also allow me to be a bigger part of the birth experience. I will not only be able to catch the baby, but I will be responsible for keeping the peace and keeping her relaxed. I can do that!
The concept of HypnoBirthing is not new, but rather a "rebirth" of the philosophy of birthing as it existed thousands of years ago and as it was recaptured in the work of Dr. Grantly Dick-Read(odd name for an OB), an English obstetrician, who, in the 1920s, was one of the first to forward the concept of natural birthing. The method teaches you that, in the absence of fear and tension, or special medical circumstances, severe pain does not have to be an accompaniment of labor.
When I think of hypnosis, my mind flies towards the old hypnotist with a swinging pocket-watch, telling people they are getting sleepy. They describe the effects as less of a trance and more that it will be similar to daydreaming, or focusing that occurs when you are engrossed in a book or a movie or staring into a fire. I'll admit that at first I was a skeptic. And I still have these feelings like, well what if she forgets to use the methods or it all just goes out the door and she reverts to being afraid of the pain. I think the class will quell my nervousness and will expand both of our abilities to deal with pain in general. I could see myself using the techniques if I ever broke a bone in the backcountry orif I was with someone that was seriously injured, maybe I could help ease their pain a bit.
I will update more as the class progresses!
there are a few great videos on youtube if you just search for hypnobirth.

No comments: